Help! :( ZFS panic on boot, importing pool after server crash.

Volodymyr Kostyrko c.kworr at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 11:00:57 UTC 2013

14.06.2013 12:55, Dr Josef Karthauser:
> Hi, I'm a bit at the end of my tether.
>
> We had a ZFS panic last night on a machine that hosts all my mail and web; it was rebooted and it now panics mounting the ZFS root filesystem.
>
> The call stack info is:
>
> 	solaris assert: ss == NULL, file: /usr/src/sys/modules/zfs/../../cddl/contrib/opensource/uts/common/fs/zfs/space_map.c, line: 109
>
> 	kdb_backtrace
> 	panic
> 	space_map_add
> 	space_map_load
> 	metaslab_activate
> 	metaslab_allocate
> 	zio_dva_allocate
> 	zio_execute
> 	taskqueue_run_locked
> 	taskqueue_thread_loop
> 	fork_exit
> 	fork_trampoline
>
> I can boot from the live DVD filesystem, but I can only mount the pool read-only without getting the same kernel panic.  This is with FreeBSD 9.0.
>
> The machine is remote, and I don't have access other than through a DRAC console port (so I can't cut and paste; sorry for the poor stack trace).
>
> Is anyone here in the position to advice me how I might process to get this machine mounting and running again in multi-user mode?

There's no official way.

> p.s. the config, btw, is a ZFS mirror on two ad devices. It's got a ZFS root file system.

If you are fairly sure about your devices you can:

1. Remove second disk from pool or create another pool on top of it.

2. Recreate all FS structure on the second disk. You can dump al your FS
with something like:

zfs list -Ho name | xargs -n1 zfs get -H all | awk
'BEGIN{shard="";output=""}{if(shard!=$1 && shard!=""){output="zfs
create";for(param in params)output=output" -o "param"="params[param];print
output" "shard;delete
params;shard=""}}$4~/local/{params[$2]=$3;shard=$1;next}$2~/type/{shard=$1}END{output="zfs
create";for(param in params)output=output" -o
"param"="params[param];print output" "shard;}'

Be sure to rename the pool and change the first line.

3. Rsync all data to the second disk.

4. Try to boot from the second disk.

If everything worked you are free to attach first disk to second one to
create a mirror again.

--
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.