EBS snapshot backups from a FreeBSD zfs file system: zpool freeze?

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Wed Jul 3 12:02:30 UTC 2013

On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 04:10:06 -0500, Berend de Boer <berend at pobox.com>
wrote:

> Would be great to have this in FreeBSD. Once you have used EBS
> snapshots, you really don't want to go back.

This really does sound like Amazon needs to provide whatever mechanism to
communicate between the host and the guest so this EBS snapshot can take
place.

On the other hand, every time I read about "block storage snapshots" --
even if you quiesce the filesystem -- I start to get really itchy thinking
about the likeliness a high TPS database is going to end up with
corruption and require recovery. :)