Questions re swap-on-zfs

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Tue Dec 3 07:02:28 UTC 2013

Thanks Adam,

I re-shuffled my HDD and extracted the swap on the spindle HDD to a 4G
partition.
A poudriere run on all 4 cores produced an "out of swap space" message soon
after. I first thought it must be some mistake, but later saw swap usage max
to 1.9G when poudriere dropped to 1 build jail and was only building
libreoffice. I can imagine what swap gets to when building 4 large ports
concurrently then.

It seems like code is a little larger in 11. I mean, root "/" and /usr
occupy more HDD space and I never ran out of swap before. 4G ram + 4G swap
would be more than enough I assumed. I'll probably bump up to 6G swap space
(4 cores x 1.5G = 6G)

Thanks to everyone for their input.

-----
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS