nfsv3 vs nfsv4 ? advantages of moving to v4?

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sun Apr 28 20:45:37 UTC 2013

Olav Gronas Gjerde wrote:
> If you have three ZFS filesystems:
>
> tank
> tank/backup
> tank/home
>

> And if you export /tank with nfsv3, you don't really export
> /tank/backup and /tank/home.
> You only export the folders, but not it's content
> I think it has to do with that you cannot export mounted filesystems
> within one exported filesystem.
>

> With nfsv4 you will with only one export of /tank, export all three,
> including /tank/backup and /tank/home
>

> This was an issue 18 months ago, I cannot confirm if it's still an
> issue.
>

> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Jeremy Chadwick < jdc at koitsu.org >
> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 04:53:53PM +0200, Olav Grns Gjerde wrote:
> > The main reason I moved to nfsv4 was that I could export multiple
> > ZFS
> > filesystem with just one export. With nsfv3 I could only export one
> > ZFS
> > filesystem per export.
>
> When you say "one/per export", what exactly do you mean?
>
> For exporting ZFS filesystems via NFS, I've always used /etc/exports.
> I've never used the "share" property per ZFS filesystem, because in my
> experience (at the time -- this was early days of ZFS on FreeBSD) it
> just flat out didn't work. Using /etc/exports always worked for me.
>
> I always liked having all my exported filesystems in one place
> (/etc/exports), versus UFS ones in /etc/exports + ZFS ones requiring
> me
> to use "zfs get ..." and so on.
>
> Does it really bother you that much to have multiple lines in
> /etc/exports (using NFSv3)?

For /etc/exports, you will still need the three lines for NFSv4.
(I don't know anything about the ZFS specific export stuff.)

For the client side mount, you only need to mount /tank over NFSv4
in order to see all three (if they are all exported to the client).
(You can still do them 3 mounts, but the outcome is the same as one
 mount for NFSv4.)

rick