nfsv3 vs nfsv4 ? advantages of moving to v4?

Olav Grønås Gjerde olavgg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 17:16:54 UTC 2013

If you have three ZFS filesystems:
tank
tank/backup
tank/home

And if you export /tank with nfsv3, you don't really export /tank/backup
and /tank/home.
You only export the folders, but not it's content
I think it has to do with that you cannot export mounted filesystems within
one exported filesystem.

With nfsv4 you will with only one export of /tank, export all three,
including /tank/backup and /tank/home

This was an issue 18 months ago, I cannot confirm if it's still an issue.