ZFS corruption due to lack of space?

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Thu Nov 1 22:44:12 UTC 2012

On 2012-Nov-01 13:29:34 -0000, Steven Hartland <killing at multiplay.co.uk> wrote:
>After destroying and re-creating the pool and then writing
>zeros to the disk in multiple files without filling the fs
>I've manged to reproduce the corruption again so we can
>rule out full disk as the cause.

Many years ago, I wrote a simple utility that fills a raw disk with
a pseudo-random sequence and then verifies it.  This sort of tool
can be useful for detecting the presence of silent data corruption
(or disk address wraparound).

>Suspects: HW issues (memory, cables, MB, disks), driver issue
>(not used mfi on tbolt 2208 based cards before).

There has been a recent thread about various strange behaviours from
LSI controllers and it has been stated that (at least for the 2008)
the card firmware _must_ match the FreeBSD driver version.  See
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2012-August/069205.html

--
Peter Jeremy