Using ZFS as RAID0 - disk offline question

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 20:00:20 UTC 2012

Hi,

in ZFS when using a simple RAID 0 style array is there a way to recover
a pool after a disk has gone down?

Or remove a disk from the pool to shrink it?

To be more specific this is what I'm simulating at the moment:

zpool create ZPOOL_1 /mnt/disk1 /mnt/disk2

zpool status shows disk1 and disk2 as being part of ZPOOL_1 and ZPOOL_1
is ONLINE.

However, if I should ever want to remove disk2 from the pool or if disk2
has gone down how would one go about getting the ZPOOL_1 back online?

I am hoping that there is a solution to just running the pool with 1 disk.

Or if the disk name changes ie. simulating a disk number to change after
moving it to a different controller or so internally.

I am just trying to see what would happen as RAIDZ or RAID1 is very good
however what about RAID0 in the situation above.

I guess one could call this as disaster recovery for the unprepared :-)

In actual fact I have done this physically on a Mini-ITX NAS system (of
course I have backups of everything) however, my point is to try to see
if one disk goes down if the ZPOOL will still be able to function
without the additional disk! - as commands such as remove and detach are
unavailable in this mode......

Regards,

Kaya