amd64/160801: zfsboot on 8.2-RELEASE fails to boot from root-on-zfs in MBR slice

Johannes Totz jtotz at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Sep 20 21:16:16 UTC 2011

On 19/09/2011 15:30, Camillo Särs wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR kern/160801; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Camillo_S=E4rs?= <ged at iki.fi>
> To: John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>
> Cc: freebsd-amd64 at freebsd.org, freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: amd64/160801: zfsboot on 8.2-RELEASE fails to boot from root-on-zfs
>  in MBR slice
> Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:07:26 +0300
>
>  Hi,
>
>  On 2011-09-19 15:02, John Baldwin wrote:
>  >> Install zfsboot from 9.0-BETA2, where the problem is fixed.
>  >
>  > Can you test 8.2-stable?  The various fixes made to zfsboot in 9 were merged
>  > to 8 after 8.2-release.
>
>  Unfortunately fixing this issue by installing zfsboot from 9.0-BETA2 was
>  a surprising amount of work, because of an incompatibility between the
>  9.0 USB installer GPT and the BIOS on this system.  It took quite a
>  while to recognize the root cause for that one.  I simply cannot boot
>  the system in question with the GPT pmbr used on the memstick of 9.0.
>  The BIOS locks completely.

I have a similar issue (with an HP Proliant microserver). GPT on USB
simply wont boot, but GPT on HDD is fine.

However, I followed http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/ZFSBootPartition
to set up an MBR on my boot-usb-stick and it worked fine.
This was using a version of 8-stable of around 5th Sept 2011 (dont have
svn rev at hand).