ZFS: deferring automounts/mounting root without bootfs [9.0-BETA2]

Rotate 13 rabgvzr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:29:42 UTC 2011

9.0-BETA2 system is booted off removable UFS volume, but root is
mounted from ZFS.  I try to meet the following two goals:

	1. Not use bootfs property (too many limitations mentioned in docs)

	2. Use ZFS inheritable mountpoints and management (not clutter up
/etc/fstab... and not set mountpoint= on each child dataset!)

Config info is below.  Result:  System boots, but hangs with

	init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port /dev/ttyv0: No
such file or directory

(and many similar messages)  I think I need some way other than bootfs
to defer ZFS automatic mounting until after / is mounted.

Apparently mount is not functioning right.  I am guessing that ZFS
tries to mount tank/usr, tank/var and so forth before root is mounted
(thus mounts fail).  However this is just a guess - based on what
happens when I zpool import -f -o altroot.  For obvious reason, I
don't have logs of above problem; and I cannot review the messages
that scrolled by, as this keyboard completely lacks a scroll lock key
(guilty: Dell).

Simplified config (have tried number of subtle variations):

zpool create -O canmount=off -O mountpoint=/ setuid=off tank /path/to/disk
zfs create -o mountpoint=legacy -o setuid=on tank/root
[...create datasets for /usr, /var, and so forth, inheriting root mountpoint...]

 = On UFS volume: =

/boot/etc/fstab:
tank/root / zfs rw,noatime 0 0
/path/to/ufsboot /boot rw,noatime 0 0

/boot/loader.conf
zfs_load="YES"
vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:tank/root"

 = On ZFS volume: =

/etc/fstab:
tank/root / zfs rw,noatime 0 0

/etc/rc.conf:
zfs_enable="YES"
(also tried placing this on UFS volume in /boot/etc/rc.conf)

/boot on ZFS is kept in sync with /boot on UFS volume.

Note, zpool is exported/imported and zpool.cache properly placed in
/boot/zfs; before I did that, I got mountroot followed by panic.

Off hand note:  I get lots of lock order reversals mounting
filesystems on 9.0-BETA2.  But not specific only to ZFS.

Thanks for any advices in making work an unusual, but very useful configuration.