[RFC] [patch] periodic status-zfs: list pools in daily emails

Wed Jun 29 09:03:02 UTC 2011

Quoting Glen Barber <gjb at FreeBSD.org> (from Tue, 28 Jun 2011 16:32:28 -0400):

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to get some feedback on a change I made to 404.status-zfs.
>
> I added a default behavior to list the pools on the system, in addition to
> checking if the pool is healthy.  I think it might be useful for others to
> have this as the default behavior, for example on systems where dedup is
> enabled to track the dedup statistics over time.

I do not think this is a bad idea to be able to see the pools... but
IMHO it should be configurable (no strong opinion about "enabled or
disabled by default").

> The output of the the script after my changes follows:

Info to others: this is the default output, there is no special option
to track DEDUP.

> Checking status of zfs pools:
> NAME     SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
> zroot    456G   147G   309G    32%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
> zstore   928G   258G   670G    27%  1.00x  ONLINE  -
> all pools are healthy
>
> Feedback would be appreciated.  A diff is attached.

Did you test it with an unhealthy pool? If yes, how does the result look like?

For the healthy case we have redundant info (but as the brain is good
at pattern matching, I would object to replace the status with the
list output, in case someone would suggest this). In the unhealthy
case we will surely have more info, my inquiry about it is if an empty
line between the list and the status would make it more readable or not.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
NOTICE:

-- THE ELEVATORS WILL BE OUT OF ORDER TODAY --

(The nearest working elevator is in the building across the street.)