Memory leak in ZFS?

Bartosz Stec admin at kkip.pl
Tue Feb 8 18:44:18 UTC 2011

W dniu 2011-02-08 13:36, Martin Matuska pisze:
> I am using ZFS and sendfile(2) with apache, lighttpd, nginx and on
> FreeBSD 8.2-RC (v15 or with ZFS v28 patch). The systems concerned are
> quite busy.
> E.g. lighttpd servers delivering 30-50 Megabytes per second (half a
> gigabit) or samba servers delivering to hundreds of users.
>
> Since FreeBSD 8.1, really a lot of bugfixes have been ported to ZFS
> including very important sendfile(2) fixes and I highly recommend
> upgrading to 8.2 or 8-STABLE.
> As of v28, I am using the patch for 8-STABLE on several production servers.
>
> When 8.2-RELEASE is out, I plan to put a v28 patch + v28 binary upgrade
> kit on my webpage.
>
> As of the memory usage shown by top(1), I have noticed that memory used
> by some programs using IPC shared memory (e.g. postgresql) do not show
> up in the counts.
> After stopping the program the count is "fixed" again.

This machine was rebuilded from fresh sources two days ago, so whatever
this bug is, it must be quite new (probably appeared in january 2011).
By the way,  I wrote (very) simple script for myself, quite helpful with
leakage monitoring. Maybe you'll find it useful too if you're
experiencing same issue:
http://pastebin.com/sQUyQbmm

--
Bartosz Stec