Memory leak in ZFS?

Martin Matuska mm at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 8 12:36:43 UTC 2011

I am using ZFS and sendfile(2) with apache, lighttpd, nginx and on
FreeBSD 8.2-RC (v15 or with ZFS v28 patch). The systems concerned are
quite busy.
E.g. lighttpd servers delivering 30-50 Megabytes per second (half a
gigabit) or samba servers delivering to hundreds of users.

Since FreeBSD 8.1, really a lot of bugfixes have been ported to ZFS
including very important sendfile(2) fixes and I highly recommend
upgrading to 8.2 or 8-STABLE.
As of v28, I am using the patch for 8-STABLE on several production servers.

When 8.2-RELEASE is out, I plan to put a v28 patch + v28 binary upgrade
kit on my webpage.

As of the memory usage shown by top(1), I have noticed that memory used
by some programs using IPC shared memory (e.g. postgresql) do not show
up in the counts.
After stopping the program the count is "fixed" again.