Restoring received properties on a received filesystem.

Jason Hellenthal jhell at DataIX.net
Sat Dec 31 17:23:10 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 04:10:43PM -0800, Artem Belevich wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 2:44 PM, claudiu vasadi
> <claudiu.vasadi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Correct. This is to avoid, for instance, a zfs send/receive of a recursive
> > (-r) snapshot of the ZFS boot pool. Since all properties (mountpoints too of
> > course) are kept, upon reboot, the receive-ing side would mount the snapshot
> > datasets over any existing (and same) datasets.
> >
> > Does it make sense ?
>
> I think I see why you may want it, but I don't think you'll get that
> behavior from ZFS without hacking it. "zpool import -R root" is
> probably your best bet. Alas altroot property is not persistent and
> the pool would have to reimported on reboot. Another option may be to
> backup/restore properties separately and ignore properties during
> send/receive.

On the recieving server set 'canmount=noauto' on the whole pool. Use this pool for only recieving datasets from other machines and not snapshots of a whole pool. The canmount property should be inherited by any recieved dataset and thus thwart any ill filesystems from automagically being used on the server.

You will most likely have to come up with a mechanism to allow users to mount these at theyre own will by using autofs or something similar like maybe a php web interface to the server that asks for a basic auth before it allows control of mounting.

Personally I would think a remote reciever would have a central admin that would be contacted to instruct when backup archives are available but this is only one instance and is not ideal for everything.

--
;s =;