Problems Terminating zpool scrub...

Conall O'Brien conall at conall.net
Mon Apr 25 15:50:14 UTC 2011

On 15 April 2011 15:59, Conall O'Brien <conall at conall.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I've got a NAS box running 8-STABLEW [1] which I'm running with 5x
> Western Digital 2TB disks.
>

> One of the disks was having DMA issues as reported in dmesg, so I
> began the usual zfs workflow of "zpool offline pool dev", physically
> removing it and tried to "zpool replace pool dev" but my attempts to
> do so fail, actually the zpool command keeps ending up in
> uninterruptable wait (the D state). Before resorting to replacing the
> disk, a zpool scrub was in progress. Now, I can't kill it using "zpool
> scrub -s pool", it too ends up in the D state.
>

> Is there another way than "zpool scrub -s pool" to terminate a scrub
> process, so I can proceed with the disk replacement. I care more about
> resilvering my pool before getting around to scrubbing it.
>

> Thanks!
>

> [1] For completeness, uname -a reports FreeBSD galvatron.taku.ie
> 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #1: Sat Mar 19 13:18:46 UTC 2011
> root at galvatron.taku.ie:/usr/src/obj/usr/src/sys/GALVATRON  amd64

I worked out the problem. There's a regression in one of the drivers
between the kernel I was running and my previous kernel:

FreeBSD galvatron.taku.ie 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE #0:
Wed Dec 29 04:00:27 UTC 2010
root at galvatron.taku.ie:/usr/src/obj/usr/src/sys/GALVATRON  amd64

I'll file a PR to get it fixed.

--