Problems Terminating zpool scrub...

Conall O'Brien conall at conall.net
Fri Apr 15 15:23:43 UTC 2011

Hello,

I've got a NAS box running 8-STABLEW [1] which I'm running with 5x
Western Digital 2TB disks.

One of the disks was having DMA issues as reported in dmesg, so I
began the usual zfs workflow of "zpool offline pool dev", physically
removing it and tried to "zpool replace pool dev" but my attempts to
do so fail, actually the zpool command keeps ending up in
uninterruptable wait (the D state). Before resorting to replacing the
disk, a zpool scrub was in progress. Now, I can't kill it using "zpool
scrub -s pool", it too ends up in the D state.

Is there another way than "zpool scrub -s pool" to terminate a scrub
process, so I can proceed with the disk replacement. I care more about
resilvering my pool before getting around to scrubbing it.

Thanks!

[1] For completeness, uname -a reports FreeBSD galvatron.taku.ie
8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #1: Sat Mar 19 13:18:46 UTC 2011
root at galvatron.taku.ie:/usr/src/obj/usr/src/sys/GALVATRON  amd64

--

Conall O'Brien