GPT partition type (GUID) for (g)journal provider partition

Carl k0802647 at telus.net
Thu Sep 23 06:44:26 UTC 2010

On 2010-09-22 3:32 AM, Carl wrote:
> I am using GPT for disk layout and I wish to use a dedicated partition
> for a gjournal journal provider rather than combining the data and
> journal into the same provider/partition. The question is this: What
> partition type (GUID) do I use for the journal partition?
>
> The gpart(8) man page lists a number of symbolic names for different
> FreeBSD partition types, but none seem appropriate for the task.
>
> For those that wonder, my reason for separating data and journal is that
> I am hoping to make up a little bit of the tremendous performance hit
> that gjournal causes by locating a journal provider in the fastest
> region of the disk even though its corresponding data provider must
> necessarily be located in the slower region of the disk. Is there a flaw
> in that thinking?

Anyone know the GUID I need to use?

Since posting the question I've been trying in vain to find a document
listing all known GPT partition type GUIDs. Apple claims it's in the
UEFI specification, but it isn't. The largest list is in this Wikipedia
article:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table#Partition_type_GUIDs

which provides no references as to where most of the list contents come
from.

How and by who did the FreeBSD GUIDs get defined? Are there more than
appear in that Wikipedia article? Is there no governing body/publication
for this sort of thing?

Carl                                             / K0802647