GPT partition type (GUID) for (g)journal provider partition

Carl k0802647 at telus.net
Wed Sep 22 10:32:41 UTC 2010

I am using GPT for disk layout and I wish to use a dedicated partition
for a gjournal journal provider rather than combining the data and
journal into the same provider/partition. The question is this: What
partition type (GUID) do I use for the journal partition?

The gpart(8) man page lists a number of symbolic names for different
FreeBSD partition types, but none seem appropriate for the task.

For those that wonder, my reason for separating data and journal is that
I am hoping to make up a little bit of the tremendous performance hit
that gjournal causes by locating a journal provider in the fastest
region of the disk even though its corresponding data provider must
necessarily be located in the slower region of the disk. Is there a flaw
in that thinking?

Carl                                             / K0802647