Oracle to deny deduplication?

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 04:26:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Bob Friesenhahn
<bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
>>
>> Shortly thereafter I found a nice table (here:
>> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/appendixa-1?a=view )
>>
>> ... now notice that the official Oracle table lists version 21 of
>> zpool as "Reserved" ... this worries me.  Is the solution to the
>> lawsuit against Sun by NetApp (that Oracle settled) that Oracle burys
>> deduplication?  This could be bad for people who unbury it.
>
> I think that this is just because Solaris 10 Update 9 is recently released
> and deduplication is not considered robust enough for production use yet.
>  You are looking at a Solaris 10 document.  The easy solution was to simply
> mask it out.  The deduplication code is likely still active in Solaris 10
> Update 9 zfs, even if it can't be enabled by it.
>
> No worries ...

Even if you are correct, I'm still quite wary of Oracle's support of
ZFS.  Oracle is not known as a "nice" entity.

But how would that work --- if you update the pool to 23 (22 or 23 is
the latest listed there?) then a filesystem with dedup would be read
... but you might not be able to set the attribute?  Seems odd.  The
ZFS implementation of dedup seems so "sensible" ...