Oracle to deny deduplication?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Sep 21 19:21:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

> Shortly thereafter I found a nice table (here:
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5461/appendixa-1?a=view )
>
> ... now notice that the official Oracle table lists version 21 of
> zpool as "Reserved" ... this worries me.  Is the solution to the
> lawsuit against Sun by NetApp (that Oracle settled) that Oracle burys
> deduplication?  This could be bad for people who unbury it.

I think that this is just because Solaris 10 Update 9 is recently
released and deduplication is not considered robust enough for
production use yet.  You are looking at a Solaris 10 document.  The
easy solution was to simply mask it out.  The deduplication code is
likely still active in Solaris 10 Update 9 zfs, even if it can't be
enabled by it.

No worries ...

Bob
--