Using an SSD "disk" for /

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Wed Nov 3 13:35:02 UTC 2010

> I'm setting up a new system and would like to use a moderate (64Gb or
> 128Gb) SSD-drive to boot from.

> Does anyone use an SSD under FreeBSD? Which brand/model? Are you happy
> with it?

I boot a server from a Compact Flash drive connected to a CF->SATA
adaptor. Its only 4GB, enough to boot, and then all my read/write
partititons come from several terrabytes of attached zpool. It
works excellently, and was very cheap to setup. Performance is
fine as you are almost never writing to the flash drive. The only
time I notice the slowdown is when doing an installworld or installkernel.

-pete.