Using an SSD "disk" for /

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Wed Nov 3 13:25:20 UTC 2010

On Nov 2, 2010, at 1:31 PM, Mikhail T. wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm setting up a new system and would like to use a moderate (64Gb or 128Gb) SSD-drive to boot from.
>
> This will house /, /var, /home, and the /usr/local and thus see plenty of activity, whenever src and ports are updated, or "world" is remade, or packages are upgraded. I'm hoping, these operations would be much faster, than with a regular HDD.
>
> However, people mention, that SSDs develop /severe/ performance degradation if written to A LOT -- unless some SDD-specific operation (TRIM) is used, but not all Operating Systems support that... Does FreeBSD-8? Is that sufficient, or will an SSD degrade quickly anyway?
>
> Does anyone use an SSD under FreeBSD? Which brand/model? Are you happy with it?

I setup a pfsense system at work with an Intel SSD.  It was overkill, but we wanted high uptime.  It was well worth the money.  Not all SSDs are created equal.  Early this year, I built a server with an Imation 32GB SSD as a boot drive and it failed on me within 3 months.  I could read the data off it, but it was no longer writable.  Don't get cheap if you go with SSD.  It burned me.

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com
MidnightBSD.org (Free OS)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)