UFS Journaling gone south

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Mon May 17 11:47:57 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 1:09 PM, b. f. <bf1783 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> >It looks like in your setup gjournal interacts badly with glabel. Try
> >using the "-h" switch to gjournal.

that seems to have done something... but when I reboot the server, my
journal devices seem to have vanished :-s. I can can get into single
usermode and an 'ls /dev' shows my disk partitions but no journal devices.

Prior to rebooting, I checked and I did have da0s1f.journal and
da0s1g.journal and the da0s2d and da0s2e devices, after the reboot and the
panic, I check /dev and the seem to have reverted back to da0s1f and
da0s1g... and da0s2d and da0s2e have also gone AWOL... :-w

> And since you said in follow-ups to your other post that you were able
> to create the data providers anew, and that you had zeroed out the
> disk before creating them, then why not use "newfs -r" with an
> appropriate number (2 reserved sectors?), in your  newfs/gjournal
> label -f/tunefs -J sequence, to reduce the chance of overwriting
> something important.

fortunately, this is a new installation on which I want to test journal
devices. I'll do this again, reserving some sectors on both partitions.

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.