[Spam? ] Re: ZFS snapshot name length limit? (File name too long)

Michiel Detailleur md at scoutsengidsenvlaanderen.be
Thu Mar 11 13:00:15 UTC 2010

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 03:14:59PM +0100, Michiel Detailleur wrote:
>
>> This seems to imply a maximum length of 72 characters (snapshot '@' sign
>> excluded) for *usable* snapshots? (usable in the sense that we can
>> mount/look into them)
>>
>> What limit am I (we?) hitting here? Is this a problem with ZFS itself or
>> with FreeBSD? Sure looks like a silly limit for the filesystem that
>> touts 'biggest everything'.
>>

> From looking at the code, I think you hitting this limit:
>
> This is FreeBSD limit caused by statfs structure:
>
> /*
>  * filesystem statistics
>  */
> [...]
> #define MNAMELEN        88              /* size of on/from name bufs */
> [...]
>
> ZFS mounts snapshots on lookup and this is this mount that fails.

So all that would need to be done to allow mounting snapshots with
longer names would be to increase this value? (I'm not a C programmer,
so bear with me :) )

Is that something you could commit a change for as the ZFS committer? Or
is there more to it than that?

In any case: thanks for your answer and for all your hard work in
getting ZFS in FreeBSD! :)

Michiel