8.0-RELEASE/amd64 - full ZFS install - low read and write disk performance

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 18:39:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Alexander Motin <mav at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Dan Naumov wrote:
>> Alexander, since you seem to be experienced in the area, what do you
>> think of these 2 for use in a FreeBSD8 ZFS NAS:
>>
>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/ICH9/X7SPA.cfm?typ=H
>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/ICH9/X7SPA.cfm?typ=H&IPMI=Y
>
> Unluckily I haven't yet touched Atom family close yet, so I can't say
> about it's performance. But higher desktop level (even bit old) ICH9R
> chipset there is IMHO a good option. It is MUCH better then ICH7, often
> used with previous Atoms. If I had nice small Mini-ITX case with 6 drive
> bays, I would definitely look for some board like that to build home
> storage.
>
> --
> Alexander Motin

CPU-performance-wise, I am not really worried. The current system is
an Atom 330 and even that is a bit overkill for what I do with it and
from what I am seeing, the new Atom D510 used on those boards is a
tiny bit faster. What I want and care about for this system are
reliability, stability, low power use, quietness and fast disk
read/write speeds. I've been hearing some praise of ICH9R and 6 native
SATA ports should be enough for my needs. AFAIK, the Intel 82574L
network cards included on those are also very well supported?

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov