NFS problem: file doesn't appear in file listing, but can be accessed directly

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sun Aug 8 00:06:50 UTC 2010

> On 07.08.2010, at 02:35, Rick Macklem wrote:
>
> I agree, this must be some kind of server issue then. Still, I wonder
> why the solaris client didn't show the problem...

2 things:
1 - the solaris client uses ReaddirPlus and not Readdir RPCs by
    default (I can't remember if that default can be overridden?).
2 - different size requests. The Readdir RPC request specifies the
    maximum size of a reply (including all XDR) and ReaddirPlus
    both that and a maximum size for the directory information
    (which is not defined by the RFC, so there is confusion over
     what that size actually is a?).
    When the solaris client specifies a different maximum sizes,
    that probably avoids the bug. (Since most "ls" listings for
    directories work, the bug is probably a miscalculation of
    this limit that results in the entry being missed, but that's
    just a guess??)

rick
ps: I don't recall the previous emails mentioning that the "ls"
    was ok for a solaris client.