zfs receive gives: internal error: Argument list too long

Pete Curry mail at petecurry.net
Mon Dec 14 18:46:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 04:47:50PM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 12:08:54PM +0100, Borja Marcos wrote:

> > >Could you try this patch:
> > >
> > >	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/zfs_recv_E2BIG.patch
> >
> > It's caused a panic for me on 8.0-RC2/amd64. Seems a new problem,
> > never saw a panic in this situation before.
> >
> > How to reproduce: With /usr/src and /usr/obj in a dataset, just
> >
> > cd /usr/src
> > make clean
> >
> > Instant panic, in less than 20 seconds.
> >
> > Trying to get panic information, unfortunately I'm running on VMWare
> > Fussion and the silly thing doesn't offer the equivalent of a serial
> > console.
>
> Martin, this is the panic report I was refering to. Could you please try
> to reproduce it? Maybe first with my patch to confirm it is reproducible
> and then with your patch to confirm it has no such problem?
> I'd be very grateful if you could do that. I don't want something to go
> into the tree if there might be a problem with the patch.

To add another report, I've been running your patch on one machine
since late October/early November, and just installed another one
with it a week ago. I haven't gotten any panics on either. I just
did a make clean && make buildworld && make buildkernel && make
clean (and ran the final make clean 9 times for good measure) on
the second machine to try to reproduce the reported panic, but it
worked fine. Both machines are running FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE/amd64
with ZFS from -CURRENT as of Dec 4, plus your patch.

This patch is essentially mandatory for me to be able to run ZFS,
since otherwise I can't backup my ZFS pools...

- Pete Curry