Thinking of using ZFS/FBSD for a backup system

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 08:31:29 UTC 2008

On 7/8/08, CZUCZY Gergely <phoemix at harmless.hu> wrote:

> Regardless of this, the system worked quite well. If ZFS were stable, this
> easily could be our backup system. ZFS is great, awesome, but a bit unreliable
> on FreeBSD, still needs some work.

Really? I thought ZFS for basic things was not too bad in FBSD now.

By basic I mean simple filesystem creation, snapshots and normal
devices. Not some crazy SAN LUNs and weird volume management stuff.

I would really love to use FBSD as opposed to a Solaris derivative,
since I know nothing about them and I'd have to dedicate a machine for
it at home. Hrm. I wonder if I could just get by running a Solaris
derivative inside of a VM in VMware or something.