cvs commit: src/share/man/man4 sched_4bsd.4 sched_ule.4

Gary Jennejohn gary.jennejohn at freenet.de
Thu Jan 24 07:57:45 PST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:58:06 +0100
Attila Nagy <bra at fsn.hu> wrote:

> On 01/24/08 14:48, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > ru          2008-01-24 13:48:20 UTC
> >
> >   FreeBSD src repository
> >
> >   Modified files:
> >     share/man/man4       sched_4bsd.4 sched_ule.4
> >   Log:
> >   - sched_4bsd is no longer a default system scheduler on some
> >     architectures, so call it "traditional" instead.
> >
> >   - sched_ule is no longer buggy or experimental (according to
> >     rev. 1.7 of sched_ule(4)), so don't call it experimental
> >     (reported by a user on stable@).
> >
> I've tried ULE+ZFS on two machines recently (on 7-STABLE). One desktop
> and one server. Both of them froze (for example on the server an already
> running top kept running, but if I exited from that, I couldn't do
> anything anymore. On the desktop, the window manager stops (no mouse, no
> keyboard), but the clock applet remained active).
> I thought it's ZFS, because all of these popped out while there were
> increased disk activity, but on monday I've switched both of them to
> SCHED_4BSD and since that no freeze happened.
>
> Anyone out there with ULE+ZFS (I ran them on i386 with 1 GB of RAM, SMP
> systems)?

I'm running ULE+ZFS on a system with AMD64 X2 (AM2) and 3GB of memory
with kmem_size cranked up to 1GB (64-bit installation).

I rarely see hangs when accessing a ZFS file system. As an example I
was watching a movie in a ZFS pool yesterday with vlc when it just
stopped. top showed that vlc was waiting on umtxn for a mutex and it
never left that state. I could kill it, however. After that I was able
to watch a movie from the same ZFS pool without a problem.

Since I had X running I couldn't easily get into ddb.

I've also seen other apparently ZFS-related hangs in the past, but I
can't remember the details any more. I do remember that one hang was
so bad that I had to reset the box to recover.

---
Gary Jennejohn