UFS label limitations

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd2008 at kiwi-computer.com
Sat Dec 13 11:23:21 PST 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 08:30:59PM +0200, Jaakko Heinonen wrote:

> geom_label has problems with other characters too. The problem is that
> it doesn't encode characters for XML output properly. See these PRs:
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/104389
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/120044
>
> This already causes problems with file systems which allow non-ASCII
> label names. IMO the problem should be addressed before extending
> allowed characters in UFS labels.

Well at the very least can we allow all characters between 0x20 and 0x7e
except for:  "&/<>\

Why hasn't the patch from kern/104389 made it in to geom?  It's been almost
20 months since any activity on it.  The last patch seems pretty good,
except for NUL and SOH (0x00 and 0x01), but can't you just use "&#xx;"
encoding for those also?  XML has its own limitations.  I don't think it's
worth limiting everybody else just because of this XML bug.

-- Rick C. Petty