Problem with default ACLs and mask

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 29 07:55:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:

>> Since that time, Linux has turned up and implemented the Solaris model, and
>> IRIX has switched to the Solaris model also as a result of peer pressure.
>> I've previouly looked at switching us, but it tears up our kernel APIs some
>> and will require significant testing.  I had hoped to do this for FreeBSD
>> 6.x but was derailed working on other problems that needed to be fixed.
>> My hope is to change the default in FreeBSD 7.x.
>
> has there been any progress so far? This might encourage me to move to 7.x
> (Still on 6.1)

Dear Heinrich:

Unfortunately, we've not yet made this change, as it's somewhat disruptive on
the in-kernel interfaces for VFS.  I'd like to see it made for 8.x; on a
similar note, we had a Google Summer of Code project to implement support for
NT/NFSv4-style ACLs that has made some excellent headway, so we may aso be
able to ship support for that in 8.0 as well.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge