growing ufs in a virtualization

Reinis Ivanovs dabas at untu.ms
Sun Apr 13 11:57:55 UTC 2008

hello,

I have the following problem. I have a fbsd 7.0 vps running on vmware,
and the available disk space has been increased since the os was
installed. it means that the disk has "magically" gotten bigger, and
in dmesg I see that /dev/da0 has 6291456 sectors, but bsdlabel says
that the c partition has 4192902 sectors. if I do bsdlabel -e da0s1
and try to inclease the sectors to the correct number, it says
> partition c: partition extends past end of unit
> disklabel: partition c doesn't cover the whole unit!
> disklabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard system utilities
I'm a bit at a loss here. the manpage for growfs says that "the disk
must be labeled to a bigger size using bsdlabel" before I can use it,
but I don't know how. any help would be appreciated

best,
reinis

--
http://untu.ms/