zfs and kmem_map too small panic

Gary Jennejohn garyj at jennejohn.org
Thu May 10 17:26:45 UTC 2007

Bakul Shah writes:
> I still see this panic even after reducing kern.maxvfs to
> 75000 (and even compling in a limit of 75000).  Trying to
> rsync the freebsd cvs repo from a UFS disk to ZFS triggers it
> every time.  Is anyone else seeing this problem?  If so, what
> is your configuration?  I am running -current on an X2 Dual
> core opteron system but in 32 bit mode.  If you are running a
> similar system but do not run into this bug, did you have to
> change any default parameters for zfs or the amount of KVM?
> Thanks!

I'm running i386 on an AMD64 X2 with 2GB of RAM.

I used to see panics until I made the following additions:

/boot/loader.conf
vfs.zfs.zil_disable="1"
vm.kmem_size="536870912"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="67108865"

/etc/sysctl.conf
kern.maxvnodes=74500 [was 100000]

The worst I've hammered the system recently was to ``rm -rf /usr/src''
(UFS) and then cvsup it from the local CVS repository (ZFS).

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyjATjennejohnDOTorg gjATfreebsdDOTorg garyjATdenxDOTde