phantom quota usage for user with no files ... ?

Gore Jarold gore_jarold at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 00:37:56 UTC 2007

I moved a users' home directory from one filesystem to another.

However, when I run:

repquota /old/filesystem | grep username

I see:

username   --   5856   0   0   -   0   0   0   -

So ... using 5856, but _zero_ files.  I expect all of these numbers to
be zero since the user should not have any data outside their home
directory, and I am baffled as to what could be using that space when they
have zero files.

Is this a sign of FS corruption ?  What could cause a non-root user to
use up space, but have no files ?

Thank.