Coda-client and kernel panic

Eric Anderson anderson at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 11 02:12:07 UTC 2007

Jan Harkes wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 12:58:30AM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:

> The kernel patches I sent are part of the solution. You also need to
> update Coda's userspace to the latest release, 6.9.1 which is not in
> ports. That version adds the necessary support for the new nmount system
> call and it is also the version that I used when testing the kernel
> patches.
>
>> The FreeBSD Project has a long history of granting commit rights to Coda
>> developers in order to allow Coda developers to maintain the in-kernel Coda
>> module -- Bob Baron, myself, and later Shafeeq Sinnamohideen.  I believe
>> Shafeeq may still be affiliated with, or at least in the general physical
>> vicinity of, the Coda Project.  I sent him e-mail in early June asking what
>> the status of the Coda work was, and what, if anything, to do about the
>> kernel module--I didn't hear back.  I see Jan has just submitted a number
>
> I bump into Shafeeq once in a while around campus, but nowadays he is
> pretty much in full thesis writing mode, which may explain why he has
> dropped off of the face of the earth.
>
>> 7.0 beta series starts.  There has been discussion of removing the Coda
>> module from the kernel tree on the basis that it has been, until the last
>> day or so, effectively unmaintained for several years.  However, if it's
>
> I hadn't heard those rumours, is there some other list besides
> freebsd-fs that I should subscribe to?

Jan - I think it was on -current, and it was a brief discussion if I
recall.

Jan actually sent me the patches back in May, but I had some initial
issues with them (from some changes in -CURRENT), and then I had two
major things happen (new baby and new job at a startup) so I had *zero*
time to finish looking at the patches (sorry Jan!).

If it's worth anything, I can try to at least do some quick testing with
it, and then I think it should be committed - at least it can't be as
bad as what's in the tree already.  :)

Eric