Coda-client and kernel panic

Jan Harkes jaharkes at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Jul 11 01:42:05 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 12:58:30AM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Aristeu Gil Alves Jr wrote:
> >2007/7/6, Aristeu Gil Alves Jr <aristeu.jr at gmail.com>:
> >
> >>I'm using a 6.2-RELEASE-p4, updated with freebsd-update. Installed
> >>coda-client-6.1.2 from ports. I'm having the same problems that were
> >>submitted on April 2006 for 7.0-CURRENT [1].

The kernel patches I sent are part of the solution. You also need to
update Coda's userspace to the latest release, 6.9.1 which is not in
ports. That version adds the necessary support for the new nmount system
call and it is also the version that I used when testing the kernel
patches.

> The FreeBSD Project has a long history of granting commit rights to Coda
> developers in order to allow Coda developers to maintain the in-kernel Coda
> module -- Bob Baron, myself, and later Shafeeq Sinnamohideen.  I believe
> Shafeeq may still be affiliated with, or at least in the general physical
> vicinity of, the Coda Project.  I sent him e-mail in early June asking what
> the status of the Coda work was, and what, if anything, to do about the
> kernel module--I didn't hear back.  I see Jan has just submitted a number

I bump into Shafeeq once in a while around campus, but nowadays he is
pretty much in full thesis writing mode, which may explain why he has
dropped off of the face of the earth.

> 7.0 beta series starts.  There has been discussion of removing the Coda
> module from the kernel tree on the basis that it has been, until the last
> day or so, effectively unmaintained for several years.  However, if it's

I hadn't heard those rumours, is there some other list besides
freebsd-fs that I should subscribe to?

Jan