The patch delete no umount eject flash disk freebsd panic

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 23 10:45:46 UTC 2007

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Eric Anderson wrote:

> On 02/22/07 09:39, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>>
>> The actual code for the daemon could be borrowed from the kernel's msdosfs,
>> or from mtools (ports/emulators/mtools).
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't have sufficient time right now for doing it myself.
>> But if someone picks up that idea and implements it, it would be quite
>> useful.  Using FUSE isn't difficult, bascially you have to link against the
>> library and implement handlers for a number of file system related
>> functions (lookup, read, write etc.).  Since it runs entirely in userland,
>> there's no danger of kernel panics, and debugging is quite simple.
>>
>> Maybe something for the FreeBSD ideas web page ...?
>
> Honestly, I think the OS should do this, not an external userland tool.
> Having a FUSE module handle this, to me, is a bandaid for the right
> solution. I'm not claiming I know the solution yet, but I know it should be
> a built-in.

I think I fall down more with Eric on this one, but do think we should put
together an idea on the ideas page relating to msdosfs.  I have three things
on my desirable list for msdosfs:

(1) General cleanup.  It could use it.

(2) Make it MPSAFE.

(3) Make it resilient against disk removal, since it is most frequently used
     on removable disks (especially USB).

The third might require some structural changes in surrounding layers to do
right -- I'm not sure if we have all the right bio/GEOM/VM stuff in place to
do it nicely now or not.  It would be easy to imagine someone spending a
summer getting up to speed with msdosfs, cleaning it up, and learning a lot by
making in-roads on (2) and (3).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge