The patch delete no umount eject flash disk freebsd panic

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Feb 22 19:36:06 UTC 2007

Eric Anderson wrote:
 > Honestly, I think the OS should do this, not an external userland tool.
 >   Having a FUSE module handle this, to me, is a bandaid for the right
 > solution.  I'm not claiming I know the solution yet, but I know it
 > should be a built-in.

I agree completely, that's why I wrote "work around".
It wouldn't be a real solution.  The real solution would
be of course, to fix the kernel so it doesn't panic in
cases like that.

However, the problem exists for as long as FreeBSD exists,
and has been discussed a lot of times.  It became clear
that it is not easy to fix at all, and I don't expect to
see a solution in the kernel in the non-distant future.

That's why I suggested a rather simple work around that
would allow users to keep the damn thing mounted all the
time and not have to care about mount and umount at all.
It would probably be just a weekend of coding.

ordinary users to mount file systems (via vfs.usermount or
via sudo/super), you can run into security problems, but
it doesn't matter whether you use FUSE or not.  In either
case the admin has to think carefully about the possible
implications.  If you restrict user mounts to mount points
owned by the user and enforce nosuid (the default), then
it isn't that bad from a security point of view.

Apart from that, the proposed solution was intended to be
used on personal machines (e.g. laptops) where there is
usually only one user anyway.  For example, I certainly
wouldn't mind using such a FUSE mount on my own notebook.

Best regards
   Oliver

Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

C++: "an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog"
        -- Steve Taylor, 1998