The patch delete no umount eject flash disk freebsd panic

Björn König bjoern.koenig at alpha-tierchen.de
Thu Feb 22 15:12:29 UTC 2007

Eric Anderson schrieb:

> So what happens when you have a regular drive fail then?  Or yank a SATA
> or other drive out from under the OS?
>
> This patch seems awfully dangerous to me..

I don't want to disagree. This is dangerous. Seriously, I have another
thought: is it less dangerous to risk data loss or corruption of other
file systems that are not affected just because we killed the whole
system immediately?

I had this problem several times: device removed and access to one of
its file systems causes the death of the machine. For example:

   - insert a disk into floppy disk drive
   - mount its file system
   - remove floppy disk (oops!)
   - insert it again (quickly, before anything notice)
   - umount the file system
   => kernel panic

The result is that other well running file systems on this machine
became corrupt or inconsistent. This issue definitively needs a
solution. I understand if you don't want to ignore and override the
disappearance of a file system, but in this case we probably either need
a kind of "soft panic" that tries to unmount other file systems before
death blow, a safe way to force unmounting a broken file system without
kernel panic explicitely or a configurable case differentiation.

Regards
Björn