Arla on FreeBSD

Garrett Wollman wollman at csail.mit.edu
Thu Feb 15 20:40:29 UTC 2007

<<On 15 Feb 2007 12:59:04 +0100, Tomas Olsson <tol at it.su.se> said:

> We currently open the cache files from nnpfs' VOPs, are there any risks
> (deadlock?) involved if one passes an absolute path to vn_open() in such a
> context?

A possible compromise (although I don't think vn_open() can handle it)
is to skip the naming layer altogether and just have nnpfs and arlad
pass around file handles (of the getfh()/VFS_FHTOVP() variety).  Then
you don't have to worry about naming since you're just accessing the
cache files by inode, and the kernel takes care of managing the vnodes
for you.

-GAWollman