alternative automounter solution

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Thu Dec 20 06:16:57 PST 2007

Hi!

I have all my data on NAS available via NFS. NAS uses zfs, so there are
many filesystems for movies, music, iso's etc. I use standart AMD to
automatically mount all the filesystems on my desktop, and it works
well, but I also have vsftpd in jail, and I want to make some data
accessible via that ftp as well.

Actually, I don't want to run amd inside the jail for security. NFS has
no secrity at all, and I don't want all filesystems to be mountable from
within the jail. Using host system amd could work, but there's problem
with symlinks. While on host system everything is OK:

/.amd_mnt/nas/music
/data/music -> /.amd.mnt/nas/music

it won't work for the jail:

/ftpjail/.amd_mnt/nas/music
/ftpjail/anonftp/music -> /ftpjail/.amd.mnt/nas/music

i.e. amd creates absolute symlink, which won't work in /ftpjail chroot.
What will work is:

/ftpjail/anonftp/music -> /.amd.mnt/nas/music
/ftpjail/anonftp/music -> ../.amd.mnt/nas/music

But as far as I understand there's no way to make amd behave like that.

Any solutions? The best thing will be amd alternative with clearer
config and map syntax.

Dmitry A. Marakasov    | jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru       | http://www.amdmi3.ru