Adaptec 2820sa redux, and possible problems

Ensel Sharon user at dhp.com
Tue Jun 20 23:53:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Steven Hartland wrote:

> Out of interest what disks are u using. This sounds very much like
> a bug that I ran into with the hpt driver turned out to be that Seagate
> 400GB drives dont handle 28-bit command on sector 0xfffffff correctly.
> Driver must use a 48-bit command to access that sector.
>
> Drives from other vendors (Maxtor, WD) don't seem to have this issue.

The drives are Hitachi 500 GB 7200 RPM 16meg:

HDS725050KLA360

Adaptec told me today that these drives are verified or approved or
something with that card...

So in your case, you made multiple arrays with those drives, and then
large data moves between arrays caused crashes, and it turned out to be
the drives fault ?  I would think the problem you describe would manifest
itself locally to a single array ...