Adaptec 2820sa redux, and possible problems

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 23:18:40 UTC 2006

Ensel Sharon wrote:
> Additional tests reveal that an rsync from array0 -> array1 also
> causes the kernel controller to crash, etc.
>
> Both arrays can survive a brutal (big, long, lots of inodes) rsync,
> and they can even survive it when they are done simultaneously.  They
> just can't survive it to each other (although I was surprised that an
> rsync over ssh behaved the same as a 'mv' or a 'cp'...)
>
> The good news is, it doesn't seem to be a bad card or corrupt memory
> or anything, since the crash is predictable and non-randomm.
>
> All disk caching is turned off in the controller, and the arrays were
> created with no read or write caching.  There is no hardware (disk or
> controller) caching going on of any kind.  Any other information I can
> provide ?

Out of interest what disks are u using. This sounds very much like
a bug that I ran into with the hpt driver turned out to be that Seagate
400GB drives dont handle 28-bit command on sector 0xfffffff correctly.
Driver must use a 48-bit command to access that sector.

Drives from other vendors (Maxtor, WD) don't seem to have this issue.

    Steve