using hfs with freebsd 6

Joseph Love joe at getsomewhere.net
Sun Dec 25 23:10:04 PST 2005

I have a few questions about using HFS+ with FreeBSD 6.0-stable.

- what's the recommended utility/utilities to use for handling HFS+
partitions?  I've been looking at the hfsutils port
(ports/emulators/hfsutils) as well as an hfs project found here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/hfs/ .
- does anyone know if any of the HFS utilities support having an HFS+
partition on a disk with a dos-compatible partition table?

What I'm trying to do is mount an HFS+ partition from a usb-drive.  The
disk was created using my mac, and was created so that (while using an
hfs driver for windows called macdrive6) I can access the drive from
both my mac & my windows system.  I'd like to use the drive in my
FreeBSD system as well, hence my curiousity about the above.

If I attach the drive to my system, I get /dev/da1 /dev/da1s1 and
/dev/da1s2.  s1 is the HFS+ partition, and s2 is a fat32 formatted
partition.
I've attempted using the hfsutils port and running hmount, and received
the following error:
# hmount /dev/da1s1
hmount: /dev/da1s1: not a Macintosh HFS volume (Invalid argument)

Using the mount_hfs command from the programs found on
http://people.freebsd.org/~yar/hfs/ i was able to execute mount with the
following error as well:
# mount -t hfs /dev/da1s1 /mnt
mount_hfs: /dev/da1s1: No such file or directory

I may be trying something rather unusual, but I'd like to get it working.

Thanks,
-Joe