filesystem full - freebsd 5.3

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Dec 19 06:00:49 PST 2005

Lukas Ertl <le at freebsd.org> wrote:
 > We have to cope with the same problem here.  It's a 662GB filesystem used
 > for Cyrus imapd mail folders.  55GB free space, plenty of free inodes, and
 > yet we get "filesystem full" messages.  If we remove some mail folders
 > (postmaster double bounce stuff, thousands of mails per dir), the kernel
 > stops complaining about a full filesystem (until it runs out of $factor_x
 > again).

For an application like that (mail server), it might be
beneficial to create the file system with bsize == fsize
(e.g. both 8 kbyte), so you won't get any fragments at all.

On a related note, many people seem to set minfree to 0%,
in order to squeeze more space from the disk.  That's
almost always a mistake, because it increases fragmentation
considerably, especially if the file system has many small
write operations, and it reduces performance significantly.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I invented Ctrl-Alt-Delete, but Bill Gates made it famous."
        -- David Bradley, original IBM PC design team