filesystem full - freebsd 5.3

Lukas Ertl le at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 19 04:32:28 PST 2005

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> > > Perhaps more likely, he was trying to allocate full-size blocks, and
> > > the only things available were fragments.  The output from df doesn't
> > > distinguish between the two types of available space.  You can use
> > > dumpfs(8) to do that.
> >
> > This version seems more likely for me.
>
> In the situation give, I think it is rather unlikely.

We have to cope with the same problem here.  It's a 662GB filesystem used
for Cyrus imapd mail folders.  55GB free space, plenty of free inodes, and
yet we get "filesystem full" messages.  If we remove some mail folders
(postmaster double bounce stuff, thousands of mails per dir), the kernel
stops complaining about a full filesystem (until it runs out of $factor_x
again).

We are now moving to a new machine, where we will split up the
large filesystem to smaller ones.

regards,
le

--