panic again

Pavel Merdine freebsd-fs at merdin.com
Wed Oct 27 04:20:54 PDT 2004

Hello ,

Maybe  I was wrong, but looking at the FFS code I see that softupdates
does not work without -f :
   if (fs->fs_clean == 0) {
      fs->fs_flags |= FS_UNCLEAN;
      if (ronly || (mp->mnt_flag & MNT_FORCE)) {
           printf( "WARNING: %s was not properly dismounted\n",
                            fs->fs_fsmnt);
      } else {
           printf("WARNING: R/W mount of %s denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck\n",
                            fs->fs_fsmnt);
           error = EPERM;
           goto out;
      }
   }
The clean flag does not seem to be affected by softupdates.

My  practice  tells  me  that  fsck  is  always required after unclean
shutdown if I dont use -f. So what is the purpose of softupdates then?
I repeat that maybe I'm wrong. But I just didn't see it working.

--
/ Pavel Merdine