panic again

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 26 13:06:17 PDT 2004

On 26 Oct, Pavel Merdine wrote:

> Sorry, I didn't explain my point thoroughly. I meant non-working
> softupdates on non-faulty hardware. Press "Reset" on busy server with
> many drives, mount -f (softupdates mount?) and you will surely get a
> panic in an hour.

mount -f does not enable softupdates.  The mount(8) man page says:

     -f      Forces the revocation of write access when trying to downgrade a
             filesystem mount status from read-write to read-only.  Also
             forces the R/W mount of an unclean filesystem (dangerous; use
             with caution).

In this case, dangerous means that further file system damage and/or a
system panic can happen.

Softupdates is enabled and disabled with
	tunefs -n enable
and
	tunefs -n disable
on an unmounted file system.