How to recover/reinitialize a trashed /var partition?

David Kreil kreil at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jul 28 17:43:35 PDT 2004

Hello,

I am writing in the hope that someone can give me a hint of how to either
recover or recreate a virgin FreeBSD /var partition in an otherwise
(apparently) functioning system.

Probably in the process of a drive failure in our hardware raid our /var
volume got corrupted (yeah, I know this should not happen... sigh. I now also
understand why it is recommended having /var on a separate partition...).

I tried running fsck -y on /var after umount-ing it, which gives a
segmentation fault (exit on signal 11) some way through the process after
displaying

** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
ROOT INODE UNALLOCATED
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

ALLOCATE? yes

CG 0: BAD MAGIC FILE NUMBER
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

Now I wonder
 - is this beyond repair? I should much like to recover /var,
   just to be able to have a look at the /var/logs to get an idea what
   went wrong when. About 3.6GB are reported to be in use by df.
 - If I cannot recover the /var partition, what is the canonical way of
   recreating it? I suppose I can run newfs on it, but how do I create the
   necessary subdir structure with the right file-permissions? Could
   /stand/sysinstall do that?

With many thanks for your help in advance,

Yours sincerely,

David.

Dr David Philip Kreil                 ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
Research Fellow                        `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
University of Cambridge                (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
++44 1223 764107, fax 333992         _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'
www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dpk20   (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'