(fwd) Re: read-only compressed fs (call for testers) [UPDATE]

Max Khon fjoe at iclub.nsu.ru
Wed Jan 21 16:08:54 PST 2004

Hello!

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 06:55:21PM +0100, Dario Freni wrote:

> >> Any feedback is highly appreciated.
>
> A FreeSBIE developer has successfully made an ISO image with
> /usr/X11R6 and /usr/local mounted via cloop. If you are
> interested, I can inform you when that iso is public.

I think you can mount / from compressed image (mount to /mnt
and the chroot there).

> I'm personally very curious about performance growth :)

I would like to see the numbers as well.
By the way you can use makefs to create UFS/UFS2 compressed image
(or just simply mdconfig/newfs and then create compressed image from md).
Another option will be to sort file list before feeding it
to mkisofs. According to LiveCD mailing lists this gives noticable
performance boost.

> Thank you by the FreeSBIE team.

/fjoe