32k directory limit

Stephan Uphoff ups at stups.com
Wed Jan 21 10:29:04 PST 2004

Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> Problem is some brain dead software (to which I don't have source) creating
> these dirs all under one dir and not nesting them in a way to ensure that the
> 32k number isn't broken.

The easiest solution would be a to nfs mount the directory from a server
supporting
>32k file directories.

I this is not possible you may want to intercept file requests to the directory
and map the requests to a multi-level directory structure.
(Example:  directory/filename =>  directory/hash(filename)/filename )

File requests can be intercepted on multiple layers - from inserting dynamic
libraries to layered file systems. (with lots of possibilities between the
layers)

Mhhh ... FiST did something like this:
	http://www.filesystems.org/docs/usenetfs/index.html

	Stephan